21 March 2006

getting it together


Two weeks from today I will be leaving Boston Logan for Osaka, Japan. Given no flight delays, I should arrive at my apartment in Tondabayashi City on April 4th around 7pm. I will have ten days to adjust to the time difference and get to know the area before starting school at the Osaka University of Arts. My apartment is 19 square meters, including a living room, kitchen, bathroom and a bed built into the wall. There is a washing machine in the kitchen and a dryer built into the ceiling above the bathtub. Theoretically, there are bedclothes, curtains, a table, chairs and a tv. These are things I imagine I will be very upset to realize have been left out, particularly the bedclothes. I should start practicing "Excuse me, where are my bedclothes?" (Sumimasen, watashi no shingu wa, doko desu ka?) or "May i have some bedclothes?" (Shingo o onegaishimasu?) This is mostly for my personal reference. My favorite detail in the apartment is the little cubby in the corner of the bed. It is standard to have a little cubby above the bed! And the plant. Does the apartment come with a little tree?
Aside from concerns about missing bedclothes, I have made about 15 different packing lists. Is it reasonable to bring so many books, or should I just get on without them? What about toiletries? Should I bring what I like, or just assume I'll be able to find something when I get there? Is it worth more trouble lugging the heavier baggage around so I don't have to embarass myself at the convienence store pointing at rubbing alcohol asking "Wash animal hair, does it?" (Since i don't yet know the word for human hair).

No comments: