22 March 2006

luggage puzzle

Northwest airlines has on international flights to Japan (and elsewhere) the following luggage constraints:

  • 2 pieces of checked luggage: 50lbs/each (23kg), linear dimensions not to exceed 62" (158cm)
  • carry-on: 40lbs maximium, linear dimensions not to exceed 45" (9"x14"x22")
  • laptop/purse: 15"x11"x6" maximum

I am a very petite young woman, ( 150 kg, 50 kg - look, metrics!). My luggage alone will weigh as much as me. I tend to pack lighter than most women, being a bit of a tomboy and therefore not caring what I smell like/look like (no make-up, perfume, weird smelly spray products), and I wear the same clothes everyday. Still, I will need studio supplies, such as inks, reference books, palette knives, pencils. Is there a mathematical formula that will help me work out weight/size to price/quality abroad? I also have no idea how I will be travelling from the airport to my apartment (and therefore will possibly be carrying all of this luggage on the rail/train/subway what-have-you all by myself). The school may be arranging to pick me up, but that has yet to be determined. According to Google, the image at left is an Osaka transit map. Actually, I think it might be a Universal Studios Osaka map for children.

Later, you will have the good fortune of reading my packing list. I know I'm excited.

No comments: