08 April 2006

bikes and fruits

Another quiet day today. I now have a picture of my sweet bike. The one on the right is the bike that is actually registered to me, but I ride the bike on the left because it's the only one I have a key to. It's Jay's bike and he bought a new one, so no one is using it anyhow. Ben, who sold me his bike, forgot to give me the key. It's sort of funny because it was a huge pain in the ass to change the registration of the bike, and I'm not even riding the right one. Anyhow, I found the post office, or rather stumbled upon it mostly by chance. Near the post office was a lovely monument to Bethlehem, PA, which is apparently Tondabayashi's sister city. I rode around for a long time and found the apartment that the other American guys are living in (they weren't home). I did some more exploring on bike and I found a mini-mall (sort of) with a pretty good super market inside. Much better than kyu-kyu shoppu (beloved as it may be). I walked around the super market, pretty much gawking at the displays. I tried to find tea, as I still feel sick, but I couldn't find anything that even resembled tea. I should have asked someone, but I couldn't remember the word for green tea and I'd forgotten my phrasebook at home. I did, however, find some lovely fruit baskets.
In case you're wondering, the prices are roughly in cents. (5,000= $50, although that's a little higher than the real number, i find it easier to move the decimal point than to work out about 85%) I knew fruit was very expensive, but this is hilarious. Also, they had strawberries that came in special boxes, a little bit like the kind that donut holes come in, but fancier. The strawberries were individually wrapped in pink foam and each had its own slot. They were about $20/dozen. I also found a shoe store inside the grocery store and noticed that the shoes were very cheap. I ended up buying a pair which are both cute and practical: I can ride a bike and take them off quickly to enter the house or certain areas of the school. They are like clogs but made with a thin, comfy leather. The best part about the shoes is that the size is LL or XL (I'm a 6.5 US). The sizes were about a half-size apart and I fit into the M and L as well, but they didn't have the same color in L and the medium was a tiny bit too small. I think the sizes range from about 5 to maybe 7.5 at the most. I know you're very interested. Here, you get to see a picture of my sweet new shoes. (I don't know who thought it was a good idea to let me have a digital camera.) So, after the grocery store, I decided to go back to where the cherry blossoms (Sakura) are, so I went to ride in the direction of school. Apparently, I'm more retarded than I thought because I got really lost. (I've done this ride at least twice, and driven it about 5 times) It got dark and I had to retrace my steps uphill. It was exciting though because at the top of the hill, I found the Muffin Bar! (Actually, I think it says Muffoi, but who's looking that close?) Anyhow, I have a picture that I forgot to post earlier: this is a picture from my commute of a cemetary. I think it's beautiful.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the muffin bar!!!!! for my little muffin to go to... oxoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

We love your new SWEET shoes! (Actually, I - Kathleen - am insanely jealous!)

Anonymous said...

unfortunately for you, the japanese have tiny baby feet. (but fortunate for me!)